The purpose of the Half Hollow Hills Community library's display facilities is to increase public awareness of the library's resources and to support its mission as an educational, informational, cultural and recreational center for the community it serves. Displays are organized by the library to further this mission. For the purposes of this policy the term "display" includes wall exhibits, enclosed display cases' and free-standing exhibits. Exhibits/displays using these facilities shall promote one or more of these purposes:
- to promote Half Hollow Hills Community library services;
- to highlight current issues, events or other subjects of public interest;
- to display arts, crafts, photographs, writings or collections when they promote or complement the mission of the library.
The library reserves the right to determine which displays will be solicited & accepted. Since the public display of art is not the principal purpose of the library, discretion shall be exercised to insure that all displays reflect diversity of expression as well as the diversity of the community.
The fact that the patrons of the library are of different ages, backgrounds and tastes will also be considered. Hence, while the library will strive to exhibit varied forms of artistic expression, it shall seek to avoid offending those who utilize the Library for reasons other than to view public displays of art.
- Areas for Display shall be determined by the library.
- Exhibit/display hours shall coincide with regular library hours. Displays in the Community Room will be unavailable when the room(s) is in use.
- Exhibit Applications. All exhibitors are required to complete, in advance, an Exhibit Application/Confirmation Form. The application shall be submitted at least 3 months in advance of the exhibit date, and shall be subject to the approval of the Library Director or his/her designee. The library reserves the right to refuse display space to exhibits which, in its opinion, do not further the purposes as stated in its policy statement.
- Displays may be scheduled no more than one year in advance and approval will be granted for only one display in this time period.
- Exhibitor Responsibilities. Each exhibitor must execute an Exhibit Agreement and Release with the library prior to display. This Agreement and Release shall include a list of all items included in the display. No items shall be displayed until a signed Exhibitor's Agreement and Release and a list of all items are provided to the Library.
- Hanging and removal of displays.
- The group or individual providing the display must supply any labor and/or equipment necessary to mount the display.
- The exhibitor must make prior arrangements with library staff as to the day and time the display will be mounted and taken down.
- The final decision regarding the display arrangement and content is reserved to the Half Hollow Hills Community library.
- All pieces should be framed and/or mounted and suitable for hanging safely.
- Exhibitors agree to leave their work for the period stipulated in the Exhibitor's Agreement and Release and to remove their work promptly.
- The Library will not provide storage for the property of exhibitors beyond the period specified in the Exhibitor's Agreement and Release. Exhibits left beyond this period (unless otherwise agreed to) will be considered abandoned property and will be disposed of accordingly.
- The Library will not act as intermediary in the sale of artwork. No prices may be attached to individual items on display. The Library will provide the name and telephone number of the exhibitor(s) upon request.
- Cancellation. The Library reserves the right to cancel exhibits/displays at any time for any reason.
- Library Security. The Library is not responsible for the security of exhibits.
- Liability. All exhibit items are understood and acknowledged to be displayed at the exhibitor's own risk. The Library is relieved of all liability for mutilation, damage, theft or loss of any exhibited items from any cause whatsoever. Should the exhibitor determine that the display warrants insurance coverage, it is the sole responsibility of the exhibitor to secure such insurance coverage.
- Fire regulations must be observed at all times.
- Publicity. While the Library will publicize the exhibit through its usual channels, it assumes no responsibility for any other publicity. Publicity prepared by the exhibitor must be submitted to the Library for approval prior to distribution. The Library reserves the right to use photographs on its webpage or other Library publication or display.
- Exhibit openings/receptions. The Library does not arrange exhibit openings or receptions. Arrangements for receptions are the responsibility of exhibitors and must be held during regular Library hours. Receptions require prior approval of the Library and arrangements should be made with Library staff.
- Group Shows. In the case of exhibits by more than one person, each artist must submit a signed Exhibitor's Agreement and Release and a list of items.