The purpose of the Trustee Education Policy is to comply with New York State Education Law Section 260-D which requires members of Library Boards of Trustees, beginning January 1, 2023, to complete a minimum of two hours of Trustee Education annually from a provider approved by the Commissioner of Education that addresses the financial oversight, accountability, fiduciary responsibilities and the general powers and duties of Library Trustees.
Each member of the Library Board must demonstrate compliance with this policy by filing evidence with the Board President annually.
Each year, Trustees are required to complete two hours of continuing education during their term on the Library Board.
According to Section 260-D, each Trustee shall demonstrate compliance with the requirements by filing with the President of the Board of Trustees evidence of completion of Trustee Education from an approved provider. Such evidence shall include one of the following:
- certificates of completion issued by one or more approved providers; or
- a signed self-assurance of completion (included at the end of this policy).
- Such assurance shall identify the approved Trustee Education Providers, a description of the format and content of the completed instruction activities, the date and time such member began and completed each instruction activity and an explanation of why a certificate of completion was not available from such approved providers.
Evidence of completion shall be submitted to the Board President by December 31 of each year.
Should a Trustee fail to submit evidence of completion by the above date, the Trustee will be suspended from duty until evidence of completion is filed. Should a Trustee in suspension fail to provide evidence of completion within 90 days, they will be assumed to have resigned from the Board.
Compliance will be tracked through the Library’s Annual Report to the State.
At the state level, Trustee Education Providers and activities (topics and formats) are approved by the New York State Library acting on behalf of the Commissioner of Education.
In addition to pre-approving public library systems as Trustee Education Providers, the State Library has delegated authority to public library systems to approve additional Trustee Education Providers and activities (topics and formats) for their member libraries.
- New York State Library/Division of Library Development
- Public Library Systems
- New York Library Association (including the Library Trustees Section and other Sections/Roundtables)
- Reference and Research Library Resources Councils
- Empire State Library Network (formerly New York 3Rs Association)
- PULISDO (Public Library System Directors Organization)
- ALA (American Library Association) including United for Libraries and other Divisions
Trustee education may be delivered online or in person. The format of this education may include any of the following:
- Online courses
- State or national library association conferences
Costs of Continuing Education
Modest and reasonable costs incurred by a Trustee in complying with the Trustee Education Requirements may be reimbursed by the Library in accordance with the Conference and Travel Policy. All continuing education requesting reimbursement must be pre-approved by the Library Board.
Approved by Board of Trustees: 12/20/2022