Last Updated Date
- Adult Individuals (18+) representing community groups and organizations, whose mission is Library, civic, educational and/or cultural related, as well as student study groups for students in the ninth (9th) grade or older who are enrolled in the Half Hollow Hills Central School District or reside in the Library District, may make application to use Library meeting rooms (such applicants being hereinafter referred to as the “Group”).
- All meetings and events held in Library meeting rooms are subject to capacity constraints and shall be open to all Library patrons. However, the Group conducting the event or meeting may limit active participation by non-members of the Group.
- Use is granted only to Groups whose regularly attending membership is comprised mainly of residents of the Half Hollow Hills Community Library District.
- The rooms may not be used for religious worship.
- Use of Library’s facilities by a Group does not imply endorsement of the beliefs of that Group by anyone connected with the Library.
- With the prior express consent of the Library Director, programs hosted by the Library may include the sale of products such as a book authored by the program speaker.
- Groups, other than student study groups (see #1, above), whose membership includes minors must be supervised by a minimum of 2 responsible adults.
- Library meeting rooms are available during regular Library hours and shall not extend beyond 9:00 pm Monday through Friday and 4:45 pm on Saturday, based on availability. No one will be admitted to a meeting after the Library has closed. On Sunday, room use is limited to Library programs.
- All meetings on the Main level shall end at least one half-hour before the Library closes.
- Meeting rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis, except that Library programs receive first consideration.
- The Library reserves the right to assign the most appropriate room for each Group based on scheduling and space needs.
- Limitations on parking may determine the Library’s ability to accommodate Groups. Under some circumstances, Groups may be required to use auxiliary parking. Failure to comply will result in the denial of future applications.
- Meetings shall not exceed 4 hours in length, additional time with advance permission.
- Groups may not book more than one reservation per week based on availability.
- Prior to the start of each meeting or program, you must alert the attendees of the fire exits, by stating:
Please be advised that the fire exits from this room are located (point out exits) and there is a map on the wall near each door showing the exits from the building. Please familiarize yourself with this information”
- By execution of the meeting room application, the applicant hereby indemnifies the Half Hollow Hills Community Library and its Board of Trustees and Employees (the “Indemnities:”) from any liability or claim arising from the applicant’s use of the meeting rooms, and agrees to hold the Indemnities harmless from any claim, lawsuit, or liability which arises from such use, including but not limited to, any attorney’s fees, costs, or expenses incurred by the Indemnities in connection with defending any claim arising from applicant’s use.
- Upon request, Groups may be required to provide a certificate of insurance (i.e., proof of insurance) to the Library as a condition of approval.
- The applicant is responsible for all supervision and any damages incurred to the Library building or equipment. Rooms and facilities shall be left clean and in an orderly fashion.
- Rooms may be used only for the specific activity stated on the application.
- No admission fees may be charged by the Group, no donations may be solicited, nor may any items, products or services be sold by any Group without prior written Library permission.
- Use of the facilities will not be granted for fundraising or partisan political campaigning purposes.
- Smoking of any kind is prohibited.
- Groups must provide necessary equipment and supplies for any refreshments. Meals or snacks of any kind, except for cookies and cake, may not be served unless special prior permission is granted. Groups are responsible for proper clean-up. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Tables and chairs are provided by the Library. Groups may not bring their own furniture without prior permission. Room set-up should be requested at the time of application. Details are provided on the Library website.
- The Library Director, or its designee, is authorized to order the termination of any meeting or activity which is disorderly or disruptive of Library functions or being conducted in violation of any law or use regulation. The determination to terminate the meeting or activity shall be final. The Library Director or their designee is authorized to call upon security personnel or law enforcement agencies to enforce such decision. Further use of Library facilities may be denied to any person or Group that violates these orders.
Application for Use
- Applications may be made no earlier than December 1 for January, February; February 1 for March, April; April 1 for May, June; June 1 for July, August; August 1 for September, October; October 1 for November, December. Requests must be made at the office of the Library Director no later than one week in advance of the date of intended use.
- The Library reserves the right to review a Group’s membership list and to require proof of non-profit status. Groups applying for meeting room use must provide a copy of their charter, constitution, bylaws, or a statement of purpose.
- Library reserves the right to require Group liability insurance based upon the event or program
- Requests for the use of Library facilities shall be made by an adult district resident, 18 years or older, in writing on forms provided by the Library. Requests by student study groups (Eligibility #1, above) may be made in the same manner. These forms are available on the Library website.
- Rooms shall be considered officially reserved when the application is approved by Library Administration and applicants are notified.
- Requests for use of Library equipment are dependent on availability. Such requests must be made at the time of application. A list of equipment is available on the Library website.
- Room assignments may be subject to change to accommodate as many community Groups as possible. The Library reserves the right to revoke a meeting room use permit should there be a conflict with Library-related services, programs, or activities or in the case of an emergency or closing. Some rooms are reserved for library-sponsored events only.
- All publicity for events in the Library, whatever the format, must be approved by the Library Director prior to release. Any such announcements or publicity related to a meeting shall only use the Library as a location, not as the sponsor of an event or as the headquarters of an organization and the Library’s telephone number shall not be given as a source of further information about the meeting.
- In the event a meeting is cancelled, notification should be given by the Group to the Library’s Community Engagement Office as soon as possible, but no later than 1 day before the scheduled date of the meeting to be cancelled. Failure to notify the Library of a cancellation may result in suspension of the Group’s meeting room use privileges.
Final interpretation of this policy rests with the Library Board of Trustees. In matters of scheduling meeting room use, the decision of the Library Director will be final.
Approved by the Board of Trustees: 1/25/2010, Revised: 11/27/2018, Revised: 9/20/2021, Revised: 5/16/2022, Revised: 9/19/2022, Revised: 12/20/22